Before your arrival

Citizens of the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland (referred to as EU or EFTA nationals below) and family members who are not EU nationals can stay in Poland for up to 3 months without any additional procedures. During that time, EU citizens are required to carry a valid travel document or a document confirming their identity and citizenship. Their family members who are not EU or EFTA citizens are required to carry a valid travel document.

Citizens of countries that are not EU or EFTA members are required to obtain a Polish visa at the Polish Consulate in their country.

When entering Poland, you should :

  1. state the goal and the circumstances of your planned stay and present documents confirming this information;
  2. carry and present, at the request of the Border Guard, documents confirming health insurance for the duration of your stay in Poland;
  3. (if entering on a visa) have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay and return to your country of origin or present documents confirming your ability to legally obtain such funds.



What kind of visa do I need?

  • Category C Schengen visa, also known as a short-stay visa, allows foreigners to travel to the Schengen area one or more times on condition that the total duration of a single stay does not exceed 90 days in any half-year following the first entry. download application
  • Category D national visa, also known as a long-stay visa, allows foreigners to enter and stay in Poland during one continuous or several trips whose total duration is over 90 days but not longer than 1 year and does not exceed the visa validity. download application

NOTE: Holders of the Category D visa are allowed one transit trip through the Schengen area to the country that issued the visa. This does not include the return trip to the country of origin through the Schengen area.

How can I obtain a visa?

Visas are issued by consular officers. Visa applications must be submitted in consulates or the consular departments of Polish embassies in different countries. If your country does not maintain diplomatic relations with Poland, you must apply in another country's nearest consular post. Visa denial is final. Find the nearest consulate or embassy

Required documents:

Main documents:

  • application form – type or print in Polish, French, or English and sign; no corrections are allowed;
  • travel document – valid for at least 90 days after the planned date of departure from Poland/the Schengen area; your travel document must have at least two free pages and must have been issued within the last 10 years;
  • one recent photograph – white or off-white background, no head coverings or hats; the dimensions should be 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm;
  • travel medical insurance for all Schengen states. You must present proof of medical insurance, but its type depends on the visa category you are applying for. If you are applying for a Schengen visa, the insurance must be valid in all Schengen states and cover the entire period of your stay. The insurance should cover all expenses related to the return trip to the country of origin for medical reasons, urgent medical care, or immediate hospitalization. The minimum insurance coverage is 30,000 Euros.
  • Internal Passport (original and a copy of the original).
  • proof of payment of consular fees.

Other documents:

  • documents confirming the goal of your visit. If you want to attend a school or study at a university in Poland, you must confirm this. If you intend to study, a confirmation of admission to a Polish institution of higher education or of continuation of your enrolment is required. If you want to attend a school, confirmation from your school or another educational institution is required. If a foreign national is admitted into a university program, participates in academic or scientific research, or participates in professional training and these involve fees or payments of any kind, proof of payment is required: it must cover the first academic year or the entire period if education is shorter than 12 months. Alternatively, confirmation of sufficient funds to cover the payment stipulated in the learning agreement is accepted.
  • documents proving that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your entire stay in Poland. To begin studying, academic research, or professional training, a foreign national must have 1,600 PLN or the equivalent in foreign currency to cover accommodation and board for the first two months in Poland. Accepted documents include:
  • a signed and stamped statement from a bank operating in Poland dated no earlier than a month before entering the country;
  • traveler’s cheques;
  • a credit card accepted in Poland with confirmation of its credit limit;
  • a charge card accepted in Poland accompanied by a recent bank statement;
  • the original invitation in which the inviter declares that all expenses involved are covered or a notary-signed statement of financial support from parents;
  • a document confirming the receipt of a scholarship or grant.





‏Lublin Voivodeship Office
Citizens’ Affairs and Foreigners Department
ul.Czechowska 15
20-914 Lublin
Phone: +48 81 74-24-549
Enquiries are handled in Polish.
However, the Office provides information in foreign languages:
– English: Phone: +48 81-74-24-559

W celu świadczenia usług na najwyższym poziomie stosujemy pliki cookies. Korzystanie z serwisu oznacza, że będą one zamieszczane w Twoim urządzeniu. W każdym momencie możesz dokonać zmiany ustawień Twojej przeglądarki. Więcej informacji znajdziesz w Polityce prywatności. Akceptuję